Our Friends Group came together during 2009-11 in response to the rapid construction of intensive residential development in the Mitchell Creek Catchment in the floodplain and escarpment. We are based in Palmerston NT.
In late August 2011 we formed the incorporated association Friends of Mitchell Creek Catchment Landcare Group Inc., Our aims are
- to maintain our advocacy for a catchment management approach by all relevant stakeholders;
- to maintain and increase community engagement and awareness via Landcare activities;
- to maintain our advocacy for recognition and development of the catchment’s potential for recreation, heritage and eco-tourism.
Our activities are many and varied and you can participate in
- a variety of community awareness activities during the year ie being available at our market stall
- carrying out weed management and reveg throughout the Catchment;
- attend/assist guided walks;
- lobby politicians to respect the catchment ‘s bio-diversity;
- free access to training in community group skills including GIS skills development via TNRM
- design and/or present land management awareness sessions to the public;
- be involved with environmental education initiatives;
- all this and more -we’d love to hear your ideas!
If you are interested in participating in the Friends Landcare Group contact us – we’d love to meet you!
You can join the friends of Mitchell Creek Catchment Landcare Group Inc as a volunteer or member or both. Please see the Membership page.